Food prepping ahead of time has made life so much easier for so many of the people who have decided enough is enough. We want healthy food, not crappy take out filled with way too much sodium and grease. We don’t want to spend endless hours trying to figure out WHAT to cook and then another few hours actually preparing and cooking it! Having good, wholesome, healthy food already prepped, cleaned, cooked and kept in the fridge/freezer makes life so much easier. You eat healthier! There is no stress every single day at 3pm in the afternoon at work trying to figure out what supper will be. The bonus to many is the sense of well being and keeping excess weight off.
I love the fact that I know there are meals prepped for breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks as well, for an entire week in my fridge and freezer. I don’t feel the mid afternoon nagging stress of not knowing what to cook when I get home. My mornings, mid days and evenings are so much calmer and more relaxing. My energy levels are not sucked dry by filling in the gaps and eating crap. As one who has dealt with medical issues with family members, and a personal story in recovery, keeping stress down to the bare minimum is key to good health.
To truly become one with food prep, one must have a few proper and essential tools. So as we embark on this crazy adventure of Food Prep 101, I am going to start with this first post regarding food prep tools that will make prepping simple and effective.
So let’s get our gear into place and buckle on the apron’s for a crazy good time in the kitchen.
I want to make this as easy as possible. I will list the essential items for food prepping in point form. This will give you all an easy to read go-to list to check off what you do or do not have already. If you don’t have all of these, or if you are just starting out in your own kitchen, not to worry. I will put an astrix next to the items that are necessary for basically everything I prep. Here we go!
- A good sense of humor-essential *
- One or Two large soup pots with lids*
- One or Two medium saucepans with lids*
- Large strainer*
- A small to medium fine screen strainer
- Veggie cutting board*
- Meat cutting board*
- Good chef knife for cutting veggies and meat*
- A good veggie/potato peeler*
- Large stainless steel or ceramic bowl (also a couple medium bowls)*
- AGAIN – A good sense of humor*
- Kitchen sink
- Cookie sheets or stones (my fave is Pampered Chef ) *
- Casserole dishes or stone wear (my fave is Pampered Chef ) *
- Wooden spoons
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- A lettuce dryer
- …and once again…a GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR*
- Slow cooker
- Food processor (makes for quicker food prep but not totally necessary)
- Blender (I find this tool very handy)
- Immersion Blender for creaming soups and sauces
- A timer if there isn’t one on your stove*
- Large and medium freezer baggies*
- Plastic or glass storage containers for freezer to fridge to oven to lunch box
- Stove top and oven*
- Fridge freezer or deep freezer*
- Cotton tea towels and dish cloths*
- Dish soap*
There you have it. My go-to list for food prepping.
Our next post will be all about the grocery list and the basic items for creating almost all soups, stews and casseroles and fresh produce munchies.
See you next time here in the kitchen as we sit down to a cuppa coffee and create our grocery list.